Thursday, January 24, 2008

Athazagoraphobia

Dear blinking cursor,

In this life, not many things scare me.

If someone came to break into my house, I'd know how to shoot my gun. If I gained a little weight, and that scale inched its way to "heavy," I know I'd still be okay. If I've got no money left in my bank account, I'd learn to cope. I can kill spiders, I'm not afraid to speak in public, and I've even made my own attempts at confrontation when I needed to.

But losing my memory is definitely on the list of fears. Maybe even a phobia. I hate forgetting things. Especially the things that are so meaningful to me. There's just something about remembering that brings people back to life.

A scent of love spell can tumble you back in an instant. A faint song in the background of a music store can take you back many, many years. And sometimes, just by a reminder of a single picture, you can relive exactly what happened that day. I can still remember the first day I secretly fell in love with Spiderman.... it wasn't that long ago.

But I worry that I'll forget some things along the way. Every day that I wake up, I am a day older. Old memories are erased and long gone. I like living my life with good times to look back on. It adds depth to my happiness. What good is life if you don't have a single laugh or tear to show for it? Hands down, probably one of the more memorable years of my life had to be the bumbling years I spent in Michigan. No longer under my parents' wing, I roamed free (as much as the Adventist system would allow) and explored. Independence, responsibility (or lack thereof) and self-sufficiency were my egos.

But more than that, it was a place that I met and knew the world's greatest people. Funny how a rural Siberian-wintered place could bring people together. I don't like my memory to fail me:

The place of snowboard accidents, blacklight cafes, heartbreaks, 2 AM dunkin donuts, rock bands, weddings, car wrecks, DDRs, tea and sympathies and secret crushes with the world's potential to be your best friend. There's especially those quite obscure friendships/wishful romances that happened - or didn't happen - that becomes part of the "what ifs" and "should'ves" referenced in a joke or some part of an awkward attempt at humor.

Timing was never right - and that part hasn't changed. If only we'd said something sooner - or said something at all - perhaps things might have been different. I've been teased that I like to live in the past. Actually, I highly disagree. Highly. My past is worth remembering, for sure. How could I not?

Squeezing a leg into a-size-too-small zip up boots ("suck it in, Vimie!") is highly entertaining. There's nothing funnier than hearing your friend suffer uncomfortably after a binge of fried pickles. And what's more knee-slapping than a group of fully grown, intelligent people trying to squeeze a dead fish on the back of a sofa mattress? ( I guess you just had to be there).

Ah, these memories.

How they let me live.

How I would cease to exist without them.

Sometimes I think I should've been more of a pack rat and kept more things. Like maybe keeping a M.A.S.H. game in a memory box, for example. (How amazing would that have been to be presented by that piece of yellow paper after 50 years?).

Athazagoraphobia: it's mine and I claim it. Perhaps I should be more motivated to keep a journal - a proper one at that, not some silly Dear-Diary-Judy-Jetson moments. I just don't like my memory to fail me.

Because my history?

It's too good.

Sincerely,
The girl who bought ikea boxes for memory storage

2 comments:

erica said...

yay for fried pickles!!!

karen said...

ahhh...siberian winters...it's definitely one today. yesterday was like spring and all the old snow melted away, today is a fresh siberian-snowy day.

haha...blacklight cafes and DDRs, lol.

oh you're so right. this place is so full of fond memories and sooner than later, it will only be a memory for me too. no!!! help find a viable reason to stay here, please!